More than a “conference,” our 22nd Annual National Leadership Forum is considered a “movement” and you were a vital part of that movement.
Bringing together 2700 substance abuse prevention and treatment advocates isn’t easy. Without your contribution, this year’s Forum simply could not have been as successful as it was.
To all those who attended, CADCA thanks you for your energy, advocacy and interest! We hope to see you—and even more coalition leaders—next year when we return to the Gaylord National Harbor on February 4-7, 2013!
Here’s a recap of our 22nd annual Forum:
• Nearly 300 students participated in CADCA’s signature National Youth Leadership Initiative and Youth Summit, empowering youth to be change agents in their own communities.
• Many of these youth accompanied their adult counterparts to more than 200 CADCA-scheduled individual meetings on Capitol Hill.
• SAMHSA’s 8th annual Prevention Day offered inspiring speakers and training on prevention and treatment of substance abuse and mental health disorders. Attendees can view presentations here.
• More than 72 percent of registrants attended CADCA-sponsored State & Territory Meetings.
• More than 80 educational workshops were presented. Attendees can view them here.
• Nearly 1000 people attended the Members’ and First-Timers’ Breakfast.
• The National Leadership Plenary featured CADCA’s Chairman and CEO Gen. Arthur Dean; Benjamin Tucker, J.D., Deputy Director of State, Local, and Tribal Affairs, ONDCP; Yury Fedotov, Executive Director of the United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime; and our inspiring keynote speaker, James Fowler, Ph.D. Watch it here.
• Federal Partner Power Sessions were added new this year and included presentations from federal leaders representing NIDA, DEA, NHTSA, SAMSHA, ONDCP and NIAAA. See their presentations here.
• 32 coalitions participated in the Ideas Fair as part of the Networking Reception.
• Capitol Hill Day Plenary featured Gen. Arthur T. Dean, CADCA Chairman and CEO, U.S. Army, Retired; Sue Thau, CADCA Public Policy Consultant; Rep. Karen Bass (D-CA); Rep. Mary Bono Mack (R-CA); Debbie Jessup from Rep. Lucille Roybal-Allard (D-CA)’s office; Hilarie Chambers from Rep. Sander Levin (D-MI)’s office; and our Lifetime Achievement Award Winner, Lloyd Johnston, Ph.D., University of Michigan.
• Our Congressional Reception featured record-breaking attendance and speeches from Sen. Chuck Grassley (R-IA), Rep. Jesse Jackson, Jr. (D-IL), and Rep. Danny K. Davis (D-IL). Tell us about your Capitol Hill experience.
• CADCA’s National Coalition Academy saw 150 coalitions graduate from the year-long training program.
• 350 people got to have a breakfast conversation with the SAMHSA Administrator.
• More than 1550 attended the closing National Leadership Awards Luncheon. View the video for the event, including a rousing speech by Rep. Elijah Cummings (D-MD).
• Our 2012 National Leadership Award was presented to Dr. Alan Leshner, Chief Executive Officer, American Association for the Advancement of Science and Executive Publisher of Science. Read the complete list of Forum awardees.
• Also at the luncheon, CADCA’s first group of VetCorps recruits took the AmeriCorps Pledge as they enlist in a new program that matches military veterans and coalitions in 100 communities.
NOTE: Additional PowerPoints for the workshops will be posted later upon receipt from the speaker.